dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, September 14, 2009

full day

Yesterday morning we walked at Howe Park. Strangely, there was a huge yard sale at the park. We took a quick look at the items for sale and saw nothing of interest. Almost no books.

Then in the afternoon we went to the bird refuge near Davis. We saw and listened to a lot of blackbirds, Canada geese, egrets, a hawk, a kite, a cormorant. I wrote two letters.

Then we were starved and needed dinner, so we ended up going to Kathmandu Kitchen in Davis, a Nepalese place. I had been to the Sacramento one (I guess there are two?) and found the food to be commonplace and insipid. But the Davis location is very different--the food was great. I had malai kofta, and the sauce was delicious. Erik and I shared. He get a veggie sampler which included five little dumplings called momos. It was very good. But we were seated close to another table and had a hard time feeling socially comfortable. They were talking about going to Israel a lot, and Thailand. But it was still good. It was my birthday dinner.

Then we went to the Davis co-op and bought some interesting foods and some stationery. I got large containers of soy yogurt, which I had never seen before. I think that's less waste than the individual cups? I got some small expensive tomatoes that are supposed to be very good. I got a honeycrisp apple. Erik got some chocolate-covered espresso beans. (I used to love those, when I was a teenager and ate that sort of thing.) I got some cute recycled birthday cards and some postcards, one of Frida Kahlo as a 16 year old I had never seen before. Looked for it online so I could post it here, but I can't find it--maybe I need to scan the postcard.

We got home and went to bed almost right away because Erik had to go to work this morning. He's working Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, Friday. I have that manuscript to proofread for P--I'll start that today. I slept in until 9 this morning, which is odd, but I've been doing that lately.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home