dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, December 21, 2009

new banana bread recipe

I don't know why I wanted to try a new banana bread recipe, but I did, this afternoon.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=11441.0

Here's how I made it.

tsp apple cider vinegar
soy milk
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup vegan sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
4 small overripe bananas
tsp cinnamon
cup walnuts broken up small

Put one tsp vinegar in a measuring cup. Add enough soymilk to equal a fourth a cup.

Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add oil, vanilla, sugar, soymilk mixture. Mix. Dump on top the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon. Mix. Add most of the walnuts.

Heat the oven to 350. Oil a 9 x 9 pyrex. Put the batter in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts on top.

Bake for 25 - 30 min, until a knife comes clean.

We like it very much--in fact, it's mostly gone. It came out with a great texture. The buckwheat flour was an unusual choice, on my part, but I've been looking for ways to use up that buckwheat flour. Maybe it could have used a little salt. It's not very sweet at all, but I like it that way. (I halved the sugar.)

I thought about putting chocolate chips in, but I wanted to save my chocolate chips in case I make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home