dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, December 20, 2009

vegan mac and cheese

Tonight for dinner I made vegan mac and cheese. If you look at this recipe at the link I provide, and when you're reading it and you get to the "1 tbsp salt" and alarms go off in your head, don't ignore those alarms! One tablespoon of salt would be--uh--insane.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=8295.0

It was so tasty but so "bad for me." I guess I shouldn't use past tense because we still have a truckload of it.

pound of pasta
1 1/2 cup of unsweetened soymilk
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup melted earth balance
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 block of tofu
1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp ground ancho chili

Preheat oven to 350. Boil the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, mix the liquid ingredients. Add the solid ingredients. Blend (I used a hand blender because that's what I have). Put the cooked pasta in the largest pyrex you have. Spread most of the sauce over it and mix. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.

Erik and I both loved it, but it's a hell of a lot of oil. Next time I might use regular paprika instead of the smoked paprika and ancho (I didn't have any). And it was quite salty enough.

I don't know what to do with the leftover sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home