dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, January 04, 2015

kumihimo class review

Yesterday I went to a kumihimo class at Capital City Beads.  It was fantastic though I was nervous.  It was a Christmas treat from a friend--she paid my materials and the class fee.

I did great.  The birthday bracelet I made for a friend is beautiful.  I will post pics after I give it to her.  It's red with rainbow.  It turned out too long, but I hope it's okay.  Maybe we can switch out the clasp for a smaller one.

I liked the instructor, and I would definitely go to other classes there.  The classroom was upstairs in a small room and they had a space heater going.  It was the Capital City Beads breakroom.

The bracelet I made out of a material they called rat tail.  I don't know what it consists of, but maybe satin?  But I don't know what satin is.  But it's smooth and almost slick. 

Afterward I shopped for materials for another two bracelets.  I'm excited about kumihimo though I am not that happy about using glue to put the clasps on.  I don't know how trustworthy the glue is.

Also, the rat tail is expensive.  They sell it by the foot.  Each bracelet costs about...five dollars to make, depending on what kind of clasps you use.  That seems expensive to me.

But I bought some fine dyed hemp cord that's smaller in diameter than the rat tail.  I'll try making one out of that in shades of green.  The hemp is less expensive, which surprised me.

I left the class tired from concentrating but happy, and it was fun to do with a friend.

 http://www.capitalcitybeads.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home