dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

my first vigil at Vandenberg

I've been doing this for a long time.  Twelve years.  I try to keep it upbeat.  I give people a false impression of my life that it's easy.  Well, my life is easy, now, compared to others.

I'm at Starbux while M does yoga and I'm pondering last night's peace vigil at Vandenberg  Air Force Base.  We arrived just before midnight, and our friends were already there, holding a banner.  They had brought signs for us.

Some Japanese journalists were there--a camera man and a thin man in a black suit.  The camera man spoke English without an accent and interviewed our friend D, who was articulate.  I felt good about it.

The missile was scheduled to launch at 12:01, or between 12:01 and 3.  That was the window.  We didn't see it.  But I saw it in my dream--in my dream, it exploded soon after launch.  In real life, I guess everything went normally.  It launched at 2:10.

This morning Ming was saying how our government said about North Korea that of course we had to respond with a show of force after theirs.  Ming asked, "Are there really so few of us who disagree with them?"

"There were four of us," I said.

I had avoided vigils at Vandenberg because my family members have worked there.  It was too close to home.  Last night I finally womaned up.

4 Comments:

  • At August 02, 2017 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love you and I love reading your blog.

    I am glad the television crew interviewed D and even more happy that D checked in with us on the demonstration line before submitting to the requested interview. He checked his inherent privilege. He was also very articulate about the issues and kept coming back to the issue of the immorality and wrongness of the mission of Vandenberg AFB. About how the USA has launched numerous missiles toward North Korea historically compared to the few that North Korea has launched. I wish he had mentioned VandenbergWitness.org as the group organization website such that the reporter would have had some more context for our presence.

    Here is the article that talks about the launch: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-us-missile-launch-vandenberg-20170802-story.html

    From the article: On Tuesday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the U.S. government would agree to a dialogue with North Korea if it relinquishes its nuclear program.

    "We are trying to convey to the North Koreans: 'We are not your enemy, we are not your threat. But you are presenting an unacceptable threat to us, and we have to respond,'" he said.


    I don't think we need to 'respond' with weaponry and more weaponry. The quote is framing the issue as if we have no choices, when we have in fact a plethora of options to bring peace.

    I love you !

     
  • At August 02, 2017 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You did great at your first vigil at Vandenberg AFB.

    I love you !

     
  • At August 03, 2017 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At August 03, 2017 2:17 PM, Anonymous Tash said…

    "I finally womaned up" - love it! And you... :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home