dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, April 27, 2006

what CBEST is

CBEST is a test teachers have to take in California to prove they have the ability to write okay and do a little math. I took it years ago to get an adult ed credential, because I was going to teach adult ed for the county, which happened only briefly before the budget took a dive. I had been concerned about the math and checked out a book from the library to study, did some practice questions with Erik, even memorized a couple formulas.

Anyway, I passed easily. It's so easy that it's sort of meaningless, but not everyone passes, so I guess it's a good thing, to weed some people out, though whether a PE teacher should have to be able to write an okay essay, I'm not sure. What if someone has only been in the US a short time and their English isn't great, but they could make kids run laps just fine? Well, I have biases against PE in general.

Today was a hell day, no training, so it dragged on and on. I was almost in tears by about 3. I asked Erik for some comfort. It's super hot outside, summer already, and I couldn't bear to really walk much on our breaks. I can't believe I have to go back tomorrow.

Driving home, we saw anti-gay protesers again at the same intersection, only this time it was people with signs rather than a decorated truck. One of the signs said, "Don't silence Christians!" another said, "First amendment!" and another said something derogatory about gays, I don't remember. I flipped them off again, but my window was rolled up this time, because the air conditioner was on. I don't think anyone saw, but I should probably stop that anyway.

2 Comments:

  • At April 27, 2006 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're having some cool weather - in the high 70s. Not for long though. I tend to disassociate when I am exercising because I hate it so much.

    Heather/h_thur

     
  • At April 30, 2006 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Flip away darlin'! Free speech for all :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home