dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, May 08, 2006

rice pudding experiment

I had been thinking about making rice pudding for quite a while. It's something I enjoy at Indian food resturants for dessert, if I have the buffet. Yet my enjoyment is mixed. Different restaurants make it differently, some adding tapioca, some adding little segments of pasta, some with more nuts than others. Some with raisins. I try to like raisins but don't.

I was scoring about food a week ago and read a few happy rice pudding essays. I read a really easy rice pudding recipe and thought, "I had no idea it was that easy."

Last night I tried a recipe of my own. I washed a cup of white rice, put it in a pot with two cups of vanilla soymilk (the shelf-stable kind from Trader Joe--pretty sweet). I added about four tablespoons of hippie sugar, a squirt of vanilla, and about three tablespoons of cashews.

I feel the cashews desrve their own paragraph as I entreat you to not buy cashews at the dollar store!!! These were grade Z. About half were shriveled nasties. Just accept that nuts are an investment and pay!

So I brought this to a boil and then put a lid on and lowered the heat to 3 on the electric stove.

When 20 minutes had passed, I turned off the heat, shook and opened a can of evaporated milk, and poured the whole thing in, stirring. And served.

I found this pudding not very sweet. Which is good on one hand. But on the other it tasted more like breakfast oatmeal than dessert, if you know what I mean. It tasted homey and comforting and definitely yummy, but just not the pudding I had envisioned. We put the pot in the fridge and went to bed.

The thing is that after eating it, I had a sweet taste in my mouth, as if I'd eaten something sweet, and was also thirsty. Do sweet foods make you thirsty? That happens to me. So I'm not sure if it was sweet or if it wasn't.

This morning, the rice had absorbed all the milk. Erik dished me a bowl. I added soymilk to make it wet, added the smallest shake of cinnamon, and ate it cold. Very good breakfast. I'm thinking what to do differently next time....

Considering a rice pudding with brown rice--what do you think? On one hand, it could be too nutty, but on the other, then I could leave out nuts! And thinking about spices. I specifically wanted to leave spices out of the pot so I could try different spices on individual servings. Nutmeg and allspice are next. But cinnamon I've read does good things for blood sugar, so I always want to try cinnamon first.

Other options are almond extract, and different sweetners, such as maple syrup. Molasses would probably be overpowering, though he suggested it. For Erik, I could use some sweetened condensed milk instead of the evaporated. Like the family saying goes, Everything is good with sweetened condensed milk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home