dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, May 01, 2006

Saturday: on the road

Saturday we woke up early--we set the alarm for a quarter to 6--and Erik drove us the five and a half hours to Santa Maria.

I was starving when we arrived. My mom and I went to Oak Knolls to buy some BBQ. Some kids were running the sale, for a rodeo queen, and they were very cute. There were cute twin girls. We had a conversation about whether the beans had beef in them. They gave us extra bread and salad to compensate for my lack of beans. I couldn't believe how expensive BBQ is now, and I entreated my mom to buy us falafel at Charlie Burger instead, but she insisted the price was fine.

The afternoon was good. My mom and I went shopping. I looked for dresses and skirts, but we didn't find any. My criteria are very strict! Long, comfortable, natural fibers only, no beads, in my large size. So it's hard to find something good.

We went to Costco too, and she bought me all the foods I wanted, like lots of mushrooms and sourdough bread, onions, bananas, tomatoes, oranges, peanut butter. We looked at the books and didn't buy any.

So Erik was home with my dad, which was fine. Erik lay on the couch a lot. They have TV on all the time. We saw lots of food shows. My mom and I went for a long walk at dusk. She made us turkey burgers for dinner, which were so good. I sliced the tomatoes, onion, and pickle.

Then at 9, Erik and I drove to the hotel, the Marriott in Buellton, which is called the Santa Ynez Valley Marriott or something like that to please the wine tasters. It's quite a fancy place--beautiful white candles burning in the lobby, free apples, upscale furnishings. Our bed was the softest and most luxrious bed I've ever slept in, so big that I lost Erik sometimes during the night. It had seven pillows, if you can believe that, and three chocolates.

It's a beautiful place, and fun to play at being rich for a little while, and too bad we were just there to sleep as opposed to hanging out and really enjoying it. I would have liked to have written, in the little livingroom-area of the hotel room. Erik would have liked to have played racquetball.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home