dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, July 16, 2006

new country

This morning Erik researched Mauritius, which is a little island country sort of by Madagascar. Here I am, almost 30 years old, learning of a new country. I feel the world is big again.

It's 70% Indian people. It has an odd history--it's where the dodo bird lived. It wasn't inhabited by humans until the 1500s.

Anyway, the swami from there is very kind, warm, has a wonderul smile and a nice hat. We heard his talk in the morning, and then he was at vespers and gave us a little concert afterwards because one of his skills is singing. And he did sing very beatifully, first rate.

It feels miraculous to not only learn of an unknown country but to meet someone from there on the same day. It's like a dream. He was almost promotional, trying go get everyone to come visit.

So that's pretty much all we did today. I learned that brown rice cereal gives me heartburn. Erik read to me. I had some delicious blueberries in the morning.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home