dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, July 16, 2006

the people who should leave

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Code Pink picnic in midtown to see my friend K. It was fun. We sat on a blanket. I made a new friend. I ate some nice fruit, including watermelon, which I hadn't had in a long time. And one of the main people gave me a Code Pink pink button, which was nice. I got to pet a cute little dog named Daisy. It was good to be outdoors and social.

At night, I was wiped out. Today at the Carmichael Vedanta place, a different swami than usual is speaking, the swami-in-charge from Vacoas, Mauritius. I have no idea where that is, but I think we'll find out.

I got some things really bothering me. One is that for about a week now, some people in an RV have been boondocking at the edge of the Dairy Queen parking lot right up against our apartment complex. They're too close, and I don't like their noise. I felt we had enough neighbors already without getting more. Before, I felt a spacious and happy feeling in Dairy Queen's direction because of the trees there. And now I feel that direction is problematic. I wish they would leave.

There are holes in the fence caused by children vandals, and that's given the urban campers easy access to the apartment complex's backyard. Last night around ten they borrowed the hose, which was loud, and they have a barking dog that's loud too and woke us up with other night when there was a barking-yelling altercation that scared the heck out of me.

Anyway, I really wish they would leave. Either Dairy Queen gave them permission to camp out in their parking lot, which I doubt, or Dairy Queen's just oblivious and doesn't care, which seems more likely. I imagine they move from location to location, relying on people's reticence, staying until someone gets furious enough to kick them out or call the cops, which doesn't seem fair, though in a way I admire the effort to escape the tyranny of rent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home