dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, January 21, 2008

Star of India, "Gender Equality: Where do we go from here?"

Yesterday we went to lunch at an Indian place we had never been to, Star of India in Fair Oaks. The food was north Indian and not so creamy. Probably the nicest thing I tried was the spinach dish--palak paneer? But I didn't see any paneer in there. The rice pudding was really good too.

Then in the late afternoon we went to the local Unitarian church for a talk on gender euqality. The speaker Lynn Medeiros was trying to convince us to be feminists and that we need to pass the ERA. The talk was put on by the Humanist Association of the Greater Sacramento Area. The crowd was almost entirely senior citizens, so I don't know if Medeiros believed she had a difficult task. I loved the entire talk. It's a rare treat for me to hear a feminist lecture. I don't know anything about the history of feminism, so I appreciated the history that the speaker presented us with. It makes me want to go back to school and major in women's studies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home