dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, September 05, 2008

to kick-start your little heart

Today Kitty peed on Erik's shoes. Most of the pee actually went between his shoes--only a little went on the right shoe. And the laces of the left shoe got soaked. Erik says his friend T can't leave his shoes out or the cat pees on them. So I guess this is a common thing. Kitty peed on my shoes a few weeks ago. I haven't worn them--I intend to put them in the washer but haven't yet. He peed on my second-best pair of tennies.

I am down again. But I'm trying to keep busy. I'm replying to some email and myspace messages and need to write more notes to go in with zines as I send them. (In the car I listened to the two Los Campesinos! songs that are the happiest tunes I know: "Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s)" and "My Year in Lists.")

Today we went to Trader Joe's so I could buy blueberries to bring to samiti tonight. I am not looking forward to samiti, but I told P I would go. And I got the blueberries now, so I guess I have to go.

At Trader Joe's I bought some raspberry soy yogurt. I had it for lunch, along with an everything bagel, and it's good.

I was looking at the frozen treats at Trader Joe's and found myself attracted to mochi, but it's not vegan. I think this is the first time I was really disappointed that something I wanted to eat was not vegan.

I forgot to report the other day when Erik was hiking with T--they were trying to "bag" Pyramid Peak--Erik didn't come home until late. I thought he was dead at about 8:30. So I was planning out what to do, who to call, how I would have to move in with my parents, how I would need to get in with Santa Barbara County's mental health system so I could have my medication when I moved, what to do with all of Erik's stuff, how I would need to deal with all the boxes in the closet.... Needless to say, I was quite upset. When he came home at 9:30, I was angry that he hadn't called. He said he didn't know I would worry. We had an argument (argument = me being mad and him apologizing a lot). And now we have a policy in place that every time he goes hiking, we'll agree on a time when I'll start worrying so he needs to call.

clarifying edit: Erik doesn't have a cell phone, and neither does T, so calling would mean finding a pay phone on his way home.

2 Comments:

  • At September 05, 2008 12:28 PM, Blogger Ephemeral Mailbox Museum said…

    -sorry to hear you are down and glad to hear about your strategies to combat it.
    -mochi - it intrigues me and I love it. it's so weird but great. I wonder how hard it would be to make and how possible it would be to substitute vegany ingredients...
    -man, that hiking thing. You are totally right - you *have* to know what the cutoff time is to start worrying. people going into big long caves get lost here and so there's a big thing of telling someone before you go, i.e. if you don't hear from me by this time, it's time to worry.

     
  • At September 05, 2008 12:37 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Sweet tooth, thanks for your empathy re: depression. It's not the worst. "Keep busy" is my mantra. Mochi: I should have tried it before going vegan! Oh well. That's what I get for dessert procrastination. Hiking: we used to always do the cutoff time thing, but somehow got out of the habit. But I knew they were trying to "bag" this peak, so I worried they would make bad choices. That made my fear worse. Anyway, lesson learned.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home