dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, October 25, 2008

heartbreak

I'm staying with my parents for a few days, and in Sacramento there are very few "Yes on 8" signs, but here in the sticks, they're all over the place. In fact, downtown there are a few young people with "Yes on 8" signs standing on the street corner, waving their signs. Seeing those bright yellow signs is like a stab in my heart. I couldn't believe any more strongly that queers deserve to right to marry as much as anyone else. My best friend's a lesbian and desperately wants to marry and have kids. She wrote an open letter to her family members in California about it and sent it to me, and I found it moving and convincing, not that I wasn't already convinced. She's received a positive response from some cousins. I don't have time to get into arugments tonight, but I wanted to send an extra "I love you" and "I'm sorry our culture is trying to deny your civil rights" to my queer blog-reader friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home