dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Thursday, October 16, 2008

flat tire

Today I got a flat tire. Or it was very low--maybe not flat. I was driving around on it. At the Whole Foods parking lot, someone showed it to me. So I drove it to the tire place around the corner, and they fixed it for $15. Hope it lasts.

The topic of the day is homelessness. Again. My call partner Dwight in LA spoke quietly, and I concentrated very hard to hear him. He did most of the talking. He spoke in platitudes. He asked what I do for the living, and I had a hard time explaining it to him. He seemed very different from me.

Today was a fantastic mail day. I got a present in the mail from my friend J in Chicago. I love it. This afternoon and evening I've been writing a letter of thanks. I also got a letter and minizine and stickers and stamps from my friend K who recently moved to Portland, Oregon. She sent these things in trade for functionally ill #4.

Today I got very high praise for functionally ill #4 from someone whose opinion I hold in highest regard, and I told him I would remind myself of his words on difficult days. I told him I'd put them in my pocket. I copied and pasted our chat into a Word file so I can refer to it later. Just last night I was worrying about the lack of feedback I'd received, but now I feel better.

I got the new Zine World yesterday and read the review of functionally ill #3 that's in there. It's pretty neutral. I feel okay about it. I plan to post it to functionally ill's blog when I get the chance to type it.

Today my friend A was in town because of a doctor's appointment she had in Davis. She came by herself, and it was heavenly to be with her just the two of us. We had lunch at Subway and malts at Dairy Queen. Afterward, I felt heavy. There's a real difference between how I feel eating vegan and how I feel when I go off it.

Then A went home again, but not before giving me my birthday present: a beautiful sari. I need to learn all about saris, now. Probably I will hand wash it in the bathtub. I won't be able to put it on myself, so either Erik needs to learn how to help me, or I'll need to go to the home of a woman friend before a puja. When the time comes, I'll post pictures. The shirt that comes with didn't fit, so I need to find a tight teeshirt that will match, probably brick red.

Today our cold water for off for hours. I wasn't able to take a shower until the evening. I feel all clean now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home