dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

the topic of the day is

The topic of the day is gas prices. My call partner Chris from Delaware was a very nice person and had a talking style similar to mine, so we got along great. I really enjoyed speaking with him, though our topic was dull. In all these calls, it's interesting to hear everyone's accent. Of course, I don't have an accent!

I saw my therapist today. I guess I'm doing very well. I'm doing a good job balancing responsibility with self-care. My work schedule is super manageable: three and a half hours in the morning, and the rest of the day free to relax and recover. This is my 11th day in a row working, though the first few days were just training and not a full three and a half hours. Project's supposed to end Sunday. I can do it.

However, this morning I was singing about death a lot: "Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head," and, "I know it's over--still I cling." When I miss a validity paper, I say, "I died." It's like a video game but more serious.

2 Comments:

  • At October 16, 2008 8:58 AM, Blogger Claus said…

    Interesting thing about accents. I think we all have accents; we just don't notice because we are used to the way we talk, and the way those around us talk.

    When I went to Mexico, and when I met my friend from Nicaragua, I noticed this. There's a saying - silly one by the way - that Guatemala has a pretty good Spanish. In Mexico, they thought I came from Nuevo León (a state there) because I have the same "accent" they do. My friend from Nicaragua - a country where their Spanish has clearly an accent - says we are the ones with an accent, because we "sing" our Spanish. Don't know what that means, and he did not meant it as we literally sing instead of talking/speaking, but we must have our own accent.

    So I personally think we all have accents.

     
  • At October 16, 2008 9:46 AM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yeah, I was kidding. Doesn't everyone have an accent, but everyone thinks they don't?

    On the other hand, I have a Californian accent, and California is where a lot of TV comes from, so I think of the Californian accent as the accent the US has chosen as its representative. So in that sense....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home