dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, October 11, 2008

scoring, the cold, music transcription difficulties

Erik got up at 4 in the morning to start scoring essays. He did this because of the scoring outage that's planned for tonight. He wanted to try to get in his 9 hours (or however long it ends up being) before the outage starts at 4 pm. Is he a trooper or what?

As for me, I do all my scoring before 4 pm anyway, so this outage doesn't affect me. But today I have choir practice, which is a distraction. And I'm getting a late start this morning.

It's 58 degrees in the apartment again this morning (14 C), and we stubbornly refuse to use the heater this early in the year. It's supposed to be in the 80s again (26 C) starting Monday.

Last night I worked on a choir project I have going. There's a Buddha song that's been handwritten, and my job is it put it into this computer program so it will look non-handwritten (and also to eliminate the bass line, which we're not using). However, there are some problems. First problem is that there's no key signature. Any measure can have any number of notes. Strange, isn't it? I solved that one. Second problem is that the "slur" function refuses to work on some of the notes. Third problem is hard to explain. I'm writing out the soprano and alto part, so I have two sets of notes going on. In one measure, there are the two notes right on top of eachother, and one of them is a half note and one of them is a dotted half note. It won't let me have that combination. So I'm going to have to write the dot in by hand. And it looks like for that measure I'll have to write the slurs in by hand also. Fourth problem is that the program doesn't have dotted whole notes as a note choice. I solved that one by using a whole note and then a half note tied together. Actually, I'm not sure about the distinction between a slur and a tie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home