dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Sunday, February 24, 2013

finished

I finished reading Calling Dr Laura, a graphic memoir.  I loved it.  Anyone who likes graphic memoirs should read this book.  The drawings are beautiful, and the speaker is so likable.  It's about someone who goes to a psychic and gets told that her dad, who she had been told all her life was dead, is actually alive. 

On the other hand, I tried reading another graphic memoir, one with a great cover, and I really wanted to like it, but the speaker is obnoxious and the perspectives are so mainstream.  It's about getting diagnosed and living with bipolar disorder.  I have avoided that kind of book, and maybe for good reason.

2 Comments:

  • At March 13, 2013 11:22 AM, Blogger Marissa F. said…

    Was the other book Marbles? I read that and really liked it. It was kind of upsetting to read because I just kept comparing my experience to the authors and she seemed to have much milder depression than I have. It annoyed me how do-able it was for her to get good treatment and how privileged she was- and how unaware of that privilege the book was... but I guess overall I liked reading about symptoms and treatment.

     
  • At March 13, 2013 12:17 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yep, it was Marbles! The speaker rubbed me the wrong way, and I only got maybe 20 pages in? I'm glad you were able to get something out of it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home