dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, August 09, 2013

Portland day one

Today we went to Voodoo Donuts for creamy chocolatey vegan deliciousness.  We forgot the camera though, so I can't show you.  Ming got a vegan apple fritter, and the bite I ate was good.

Then we went to the Chinese gardens.  They are still beautiful.  At the tea shop we had some white peony, horse beans, a tea egg.  It was wonderful.

Then we had Indian food for lunch, from a food cart that said it was not a food cart, and talked to a very nice kid from Edmonton.  The spinach was boring--so were the dal and chickpeas.  But the navratan was first rate, and the naan was good.

Then we went to Laughing Horse Books, which is a radical bookstore / infoshop.  There we read a little and learned to cardweave.  I met a penpal.

Then we went to Red & Black Cafe and had some dragon noodles and met two friends but did not stay for the Rad Dad / Hip Mama reading.

Now we're home with the friend we're staying with, and he's going to make some popcorn.  I wanted mine without pepper.

Bus rides, postcards from Powell's, stink smells, exhaustion.  I hope that while I'm sleeping, my mind can heal so I can do okay tomorrow at Portland Zine Symposium 2013 day one.

2 Comments:

  • At August 10, 2013 2:30 AM, Anonymous Jen H. said…

    That sounds like an awesome day!
    If you have the time and want to see another garden, the Portland Japanese Garden (http://japanesegarden.com/) is SO beautiful! Very peaceful too. It's much bigger than the Chinese gardens so there are lots of places to wander off and be alone. I liked that part a lot.
    Have fun at the zine symposium!

     
  • At August 22, 2013 1:46 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    Yes, it was an awesome day! We went to the Japanese Garden last year, but only maybe half if it is accessible to people with physical disabilities, so we were sad our friend we stay with couldn't see those parts. I'm writing you an email! <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home