dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

black music

I've spent the morning scoring and looking for music on amazon that's not white people singing. I was investigating Madlib and enjoyed some but was not entirely sold. I'm missing a world of context.... I drifted through some other hiphop very creative, surprising, something else but not something I feel I could hear a lot of.

And then fell into Arcade Fire who I had heard of but not heard, and The Decemberists, and that famous Sufjan Stevens--sounds lovely. So I broke down and returned to the white side. But my dear reader, I request you point me to some black or brown voices. I loved Diggable Planets' Reachin' as a teenager but didn't like Blowout Comb as much. I still have that and perhaps should give it an adult listen.

Kitty's whiney and cranky. So am I. It's supposed to hit 107 on Thursday!!! I'm hungry and ate all the fruit in the house yesterday. I think I eat comparatively a lot of fruit. We need to go to the store. I grubbed half a cucumber for half my breakfast. Deperate times call for desperate measures....

3 Comments:

  • At June 20, 2006 11:54 AM, Blogger gentillefille said…

    Love The Arcade Fire, they are the most amazing band live!

     
  • At June 20, 2006 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can't go wrong with Sufjan. Don't judge him by the color of his skin. You may also like The Fiery Furnaces.

     
  • At June 21, 2006 10:04 AM, Blogger cynthia said…

    Devendra Banhart. he is awesome! cripple crow, my dear, cripple crow. his mother is venezuelan. that should help. not black, but not white either!

    Check out Karen Dalton, maybe?

    Virginia Rodrigues is an amazing brazilian singer. I think you would like sol negro.

    Cesaria Evora.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home