dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

contested knowledge: the world acording to 16-year-olds

We got some wonderful juice from Trader Joe's. It's orange-mango-peach flavor. It tastes like the fruit punch of my childhood but more fruity and less red.

SAT scored out this morning, and I'm glad, but there are three things I learned recently that I need to tell you.

1. The first is that "Don't Worry, Be Happy" was written and performed by Bob Marley.

2. The other is that society is a a very big thing and should not be destroyed.

3. The third is that in the 60s, there were many movements for social justice, and they may or may not have been necessary or useful.

Can you believe that? It's not often that I'm moved to say WTF, but I am going to say it right now. WTF.

"No Woman No Cry" is kinda like "Don't Worry, Be Happy" in a way.

I remember when we used to sit
In the government yard in Trenchtown.
And then Georgie would make the fire lights,
As it was logwood burnin through the nights.
Then we would cook cornmeal porridge,
Of which I'll share with you.
My feet is my only carriage.


My brother used to listen to that song over and over when we were kids. I heard a lot of Led Zepplin through the wall also.

Is that "logwood burnin" or "log would burnin"???? I don't know Jamaican. I'm an ignore-anus like those kids. I will always be an ignorant kid.

2 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2006 7:43 PM, Blogger redbird said…

    Wow, it's so interesting what we think we know. What people think they know. I believe I say a lot of things that aren't true and don't know it--or discover later is untrue. Information. Memory. Source. Invention. Sharing is an imperfect education and yet rather rich with variation.

     
  • At June 26, 2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Laura-Marie said…

    I like "sharing is an imperfect education."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home