dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Saturday, October 13, 2007

victorious!

I won the cornbread competition! There were only two cornbreads entered. I was told a secret--that the other cornbread was actually made from a Marie Callender's mix! So it just goes to show that (1) vegan food can kick ass and (2) home cooking can too.

I was surprised only two cornbreads were entered. I thought cornbread is so much easier than chili, so there would be lots of cornbreads. I was wrong. I also thought someone would bring a heavenly cheesy version of cornbread, a hot jalapeƱo version, or even the concoction known as Corn Thang, which is so yummy and horrible for you. I was wrong again. If this fundraiser happens again next year, I will probably do a cheesy cornbread, not so healthful.

There were three vegetarian chilis, and I tried all three. One had Soyrizo, fake beef bites, beans, and corn in it--that was my favorite. One was an Italian version of chili. It was really good too--it came with cheese to sprinkle on top, and it included white beans and garbanzo beans. The third veggie chili was made by my friend K's boyfriend N. It included fake sausage and Fat Weasel beer. It was the hottest of the three and also delicious. But the Soyrizo chili won best vegetarian, and I'm glad. K said that one was really close.

It felt like a party the whole time, and I'm not good at parties. I knew very few of the people there. So I had some difficulty. But Erik came and kept me company for the last portion of my time there. He ate vegetarian chilis, and we chatted as we waited for the winners to be announced.

The peanutbutter oatmeal cookies I brought were enjoyed too. Not all got eaten up, but most did.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home