dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

stopping

The topic of the day is stem cell research and cloning. I got a nice enough kind of know-it-all guy named Tom from Chicago. He told me something about getting invited by President Clinton to give a talk in Cuba. He seemed to want to impress me with this fact, and I'm seeing a trend here of strangers wanting to impress me--is this what regular people are like? I talk to so few regular people. (I mean that my friends and acquaintances are freaks in some way--mostly zinesters, you know. And poets. I think I'm putting my foot in my mouth. I'll just stop.) edit to add--I mean we're freaks in a good way.

Our views on stem cell research were the same (pro). We didn't know what cloning has to do with it--I suggested that the stem cells are cloned. He thought not. Anyway, the conversation got interesting when I asked, "How's Chicago today?" and we started talking about our cities of residence. I find the weather inordinately fascinating, as you may have noticed. He started telling me that Chicago's mayor is a totalitarian or something like that? He said the mayor had been in office this really long time, and he wished another country would come invade Chicago so they would get a new leader. He had me laughing.

Anyway, six bucks. SAT scoring is going okay. I missed two validity papers today, but that's acceptable. My stats are still stellar. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration.

I have this huge jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil that my parents bought me from Costco. I'm thinking I'll make pasta tonight. Unfortunately, the sun dried tomatoes are in slices, and if I want to dice them, it's messy, because of the olive oil. Listen to me complain! I am the luckiest girl in the world, and here I am complaining about getting olive oil on my hands. Please pardon me.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home