dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, October 13, 2008

vocal study call

The topic of the day is celebrities. I didn't have much to say. I brought up David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as two celebrities I've cared about, from when I was into the X-Files. My call partner Julie in Oregon (she seemed about my age, which is unusual) told me how David Duchovny was in rehab for being a sex addict--I didn't know. She said, "Do you live in the woods or something?" It was interesting how easily she could tell I'm out of touch with popular culture. She talked about some shows I hadn't heard of and some actors I hadn't heard of. I came away from the call feeling really dumb, not because of how I'm out of touch with popular culture, but because Julie talked so quickly and articulately. I felt mired in the mud. I can write fast, but I can't talk fast to save my life. Still, I like participating in this study.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home