dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Friday, September 12, 2008

new recipes

Today we went to Whole Foods so I could buy some ingredients for two new meals I wanted to make. I bought hot sesame oil, pure chili powder, rice vermicelli, rice vinegar (which it turns out we didn't need), cornstarch, coconut milk, frozen corn, green onions, a red bell pepper, two jalapenos, and some garlic.

This afternoon I made a recipe called Somen Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce. Only Whole Foods didn't have somen noodles, so I used rice vermicelli. It turned out delicious but somewhat bland. We think the noodles needed about twice as much dressing. This recipe is from a cookbook I got from the library called 150 Vegan Favorites. I think the dressing recipe is good, and I plan to make the dressing to put on soba noodles. Another idea is to use it on rice.

The next recipe I plan to make is called Southwestern Corn Pudding from the cookbook called Veganomicon. It calls for fresh corn, but I didn't want to pay fifty-nine cents an ear, so I bought frozen and hope that works okay. I don't actually have a copy of Veganomicon--I got the recipe online--there's a way using google reader to look through books. But I requested it from the library--Sacramento's system doesn't have it, but there's a way you can borrow from other library systems called Link+.

Today Erik and I went to Vedanta so I could work in the library for an hour. Luckily, R was also working in the library setting up chairs for tonight's slide show. I was able to ask him tons of questions that came up as I worked, and it was nice to chat. We talked about school and poetry. He gave me a poetry quiz, which I failed. When he left, the quiet was good too. Then I went to find Erik in the garden, and we walked around the grounds a few times to get our exercise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home