dangerous compassions

I call you / from the comet's cradle

Monday, September 15, 2008

ruby

Tonight I went to dinner with my friend H. We went to an Indian place in West Sac called Pooja. The food was very good and very heavy. The service was poor. We talked more about her new boyfriend. I'll see her again Wednesday night at a writer's group meeting.

I just went to Miranda July's myspace page and listened to some...what would you call them...poems? You can hear for yourself, if you like. http://www.myspace.com/mirandajuly

This morning we went to McKinley park. I wrote a long letter to my friend H. (A different H. I know a lot of H's.) I want to say something that will encapsulate just how it felt to be at the park, but I'm coming up empty. There was a bird that approached us, mistakenly thinking we were giving out food. It had a neon yellow band on one of its legs. "Look--it's tagged," I told Erik. It was cool out, and I kept getting distracted from my letter by moms and kids who were talking by, which was fine.

Then we went to the co-op for some supplements. We hear it's important for vegans to take B-12 supplements because B-12 is missing from the vegan diet. We're not real vegans, which is clear from my dinner. But we go to restaurants rarely, so we'll be vegans most of the time. I got some calcium pills too. I guess vegans eat less calcium.

I saw my friend P this afternoon--I helped her in the library making those three new choir binders. She wasn't in the best mood, and neither was I, but we got along well anyway. She said I'm a jewel but I would never believe it. I don't know if I'd ever been called a jewel before. I think I'm a ruby.

Fantastic mail day. I got a zine from England and a zine from Canada, a cat notecard with stamps in trade for a zine from someone in Brooklyn, and a package from my favorite Finlander. I'm thinking the package is for my birthday, so I'll save it until then.

I told P how I'll be away next weekend for my birthday. "How old are you?" she asked.

"I'll be 32," I said.

"That's a good age," she said. I think that's the same thing she said last year and the year before. (Maybe it's a good decade.)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home